Parallels announced the availability of Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac which offers a revamped design, in line with what will come with macOS Big Sur, improved graphics performance, faster startup, shutdown and recovery, and a host of new features including support for Metal applications with 3D capabilities.
- DirectX 11 and OpenGL 3: DirectX11 up to 20% faster and optimized OpenGL 3 graphics in Windows and Linux.
- Longer Battery Life: Up to 100% longer battery life when Windows is running in Travel mode.
- Automatically Reclaim Disk Space: Virtual machines (VMs) can be configured to automatically return unused disk space upon shutdown.
- New multi-touch gestures for Windows apps
- Optimized printing
Parallels Desktop is Parallels Desktop Pro Edition is a more powerful, flexible, and feature-rich solution than the Standard Edition. Among the new features offered in this version:
- CPU and RAM: possibility of allocating up to 32 virtual CPUs and 128 GB of virtual RAM for each VM
- Microsoft Visual Studio Plug-in: Visual Studio integration makes it easy to test applications between operating systems.
- Create and name custom networks (new): Name your own custom networks for more organized and productive testing.
- Nested Virtualization: Run and test a Microsoft Hyper-V-based virtual machine in your Parallels Desktop virtual machine.
- Command line: The rich command line interface (prlctl and prlsrvctl) allows flexible automation of work activities.
- Vagrant, Docker and Jenkins Plugins – Free Vagrant, Docker and Jenkins plugins / providers for developers.
- Constrained Clones: Create a new VM from a snapshot of the existing VM. The constrained clone takes up only a fraction of the disk space used by the primary VM, as it reuses the disk sectors which are the same for both VMs.
- Store VM Directly in Control Center – Advanced users tend to have a lot of virtual machines that take up a lot of disk space. In-place archiving directly from Parallels Desktop Control Center with the ability to manage the configuration of an archived VM offers tremendous benefits.
- Prepare for Transfer (New): Export a VM in a compressed format such as a solid file for easier and faster upload and transfer to new hardware.
New features in Parallels Desktop 16 Business Edition, in addition to all the features of the Pro Edition, include:
- Enterprise VM Provisioning – Easily configure VMs with pre-installed applications to load and host where employees can safely download and run their Mac devices.
- Update Control: Centralized administration offers flexible controls to manage access to new Parallels Desktop updates, new feature releases, updates, and new macOS releases.
- Passwordless Updates: Administrator credentials are no longer required for Parallels Desktop updates, making it easier for IT and users to always keep it up to date even when users are not administrators of their Mac devices.
- Simplified installation on macOS Big Sur: Installing Parallels Desktop on macOS Big Sur does NOT require system extension approval, making installation quick and smooth, without having to restart your Mac.
Parallels Toolbox, included in Parallels Desktop subscriptions, is a comprehensive suite of tools that simplify computer health management and productivity. New features include Break Time for Mac, Show Desktop for Mac, Unit Converter for Windows, Unit Converter for Mac, Close Apps for Windows, Window on Top for Windows and Window Manager for Mac.
Parallels Access 6, also included in Parallels Desktop subscriptions, allows users to remotely access up to five PCs or Mac computers from iPads, iPhones, and Android devices using familiar native touch gestures.
New features in version 6 include:
- Personal Help: Generate and share a link to Personal Assistant which, when selected, will allow you to install a free pre-configured copy of Parallels Access.
- Bluetooth support for mouse and trackpad in iPadOS 13.4 or later for remote sessions, including gestures. When a mouse or trackpad is detected, the cursor changes to a native cursor depending on the content available on the screen (such as a pointer or arrows), for a better user experience.
- Android support for OneDrive and Google Drive storage via Parallels Access File Manager for more efficient file sharing.
- Gesture navigation and Android edge-to-edge rendering.
Parallels Desktop subscriptions include free concurrent subscriptions to Parallels Toolbox for Mac and Windows and Parallels Access, also sold separately to all PC and Mac users as standalone products, with free or subscription trials. Existing Parallels Desktop for Mac (any edition) customers can request a quotation to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 16 online at the manufacturer's website. New customers can download a free trial version
Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac
- Upgrade from any edition to a perpetual license – 49.99 EUR
- New subscription – 79.99 EUR per year
- New perpetual license – 99.99 EUR
Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition
- Upgrade from any edition – 49.99 EUR per year
- New subscription – 99.99 EUR per year
Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition
- 99.99 EUR per year