Right in these moments Intel has formalized the launch of the new eleventh generation mobile processors, codenamed Tiger Lake, characterized by Willow Cove microarchitecture, 10nm SuperFin production process and Intel Xe-LP integrated graphics (which has been said very well in the last months). Obviously defined as the best mobile processors ever produced by the company, the new SoCs have been designed to bring the best possible user experience on defined notebooks "Thin and Light" and to limit compromises as much as possible even in the event that a discrete computing power is needed.
The adoption of a more optimized production process of the new Willow Cove cores and the new Intel Xe integrated graphics allows Intel 11th Gen platforms to increase frequencies, up to 4.8 GHz in Turbo mode, improving energy efficiency and allowing thus enabling specialized processing engines, graphics accelerators and software optimizations to be integrated on the SoC. So let's go to list the cornerstones around which the new platforms are developed:
- The new integrated Intel Xe Graphics improves the performance of the UHD graphics present in the previous generation processors by over 90%, bringing the Executive Units to 96 and the L3 cache memory up to 16 MB.
- Performance increased up to 5x for processes involving artificial intelligence thanks to a new set of instructions for the interaction of neural networks with integrated graphics cards.
- Hardware-enhanced security by integrating Intel Control Flow Enforcement Technology and Intel Total Memoy Encryption.
- Support for AV1 codec to enable more efficient decoding of 4K video signals on occasions when bandwidth is limited.
- Thunderbolt 4 connectivity up to a maximum of 4 ports and support for a single interface for charging and transferring data and video signal.
- First mobile SoC with PCie 4 interface connected to the CPU and up to 4 lines supported.
The new 11th Gen Intel platforms will initially be available in 9 variants and two different designs with scalable performance and a variable TDP from 7 to 28 Watts. Below is the detail of all the variants with their respective technical characteristics.
These new platforms with all the new integrated technologies enable new usage scenarios and maximize performance in real operation, accelerating processes and improving the responsiveness of applications and tools most used by users.
- Collaboration – The 11th generation platforms activate a new level of interaction in the collaborative environment thanks to a more immersive experience enhanced by the intervention of artificial intelligence. Background noise cancellation via technology Gaussian and Neural Accelerator 2.0 (Intel GNA) and special effects like background blur are just some of the tools that make collaborative work more effective. Without neglecting WiFi 6, however, very important for stable and fast connectivity.
- Work Performance – Office productivity is boosted with more than 20% better performance than the competition. Also contributing to this is the support for Thunderbolt 4 technology that allows you to connect and interact with peripherals, monitors and external storage more quickly.
- Content Creation – Up to 2.7x better performance in photo editing and up to 2x better performance in video editing than similar previous generation products. Support for 8K HDR displays and up to four 4K HDR monitors simultaneously.
- Entertainment – They are the first platforms on the market to support Dolby Vision at the hardware level, thus offering the possibility of having a deeper multimedia experience and improving consumption to guarantee up to 20% more autonomy in video streaming conditions.
- Gaming – 2x better gaming performance than the previous generation. Possibility to run titles like Borderlands 3, Far Cry New Dawn and Hitman two with relative peace of mind and using only the capabilities of the new integrated graphics cards.
Together with the new new generation platforms, Intel today also announces the introduction of the Intel Evo certification. We are talking about the brand under which all the products that meet the second generation specifications of the Project Athena innovation program will be gathered. Certified notebooks will be able to show off the Intel Evo badge as products verified to be among the best solutions for being productive on the go.
By measuring workflows in real-world conditions, Intel's test system provides a prediction of how a laptop might perform in everyday business use. Only notebooks that meet all specifications and meet Intel's KEIs (Key Experience Indicators) will be eligible for the Evo badge. The minimum goals outlined by these new KEIs include:
- Consistent responsiveness when battery powered
- System wakes up in less than a second
- At least 9 hours of real autonomy (valid for products with FHD display)
- Fast charging that guarantees at least 4 hours of operation in less than 30 minutes (valid for products with FHD display)
Among the features that cannot be missing we also find WiFi 6 connectivity and support for Thunderbolt 4 technology. But not only that, even webcams, microphones and displays must exceed some quality standards and obviously all this must be enclosed in a thin and light design to still be able to maintain excellent portability while managing without sacrificing a premium user experience.