AMD continues to ride the wave of success of its Zen 2 x86 architecture and announces the debut of Ryzen ThreadRipper PRO processors, updated versions of the models announced last November, however, intended for professionals and in particular for high-end workstations that aim at the top in made of performance.
The company presents four new processors that basically differ from the non-PRO models for more advanced support in terms of RAM memory. Before seeing the features, however, here are the new products presented:
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3955WX
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX
We immediately point out that we are dealing with products aimed at OEM partners and that therefore the consumer user will not be able to purchase retail; manufacturers like Lenovo have already announced solutions based on ThreadRipper PRO, among these we point out the new professional workstation Lenovo ThinkStation P620 with Ryzen ThreadRipper PRO 3995WX.
Ryzen ThreadRipper PRO 3995WX is the top of the range and represents the "professional" version of the ThreadRipper 3990X announced at CES in Las Vegas. The CPU boasts 64 cores and 128 threads thanks to SMT support; the base frequency is 2.7 GHz with Boost at 4.2 GHz (slightly less than 3900X 2.9 / 4.3 GHz), the TDP remains unchanged at 280 watts.
The substantial difference between the Ryzen ThreadRipper desktop models and the new PROs lies in the support of RAM memory; while the former stop at 512GB on four-channels, Ryzen ThreadRipper PRO supports up to 2TB of 8-channel DDR4 ECC RAM (UDIMM, RDIMM, LRDIMM) on 8 channels, thus taking up the characteristics of the EPYC server processors.
On board we also find PCI-E 4.0 support with 128 lines available to make the most of graphics cards and new generation storage solutions.
AMD has not released the prices at the moment, waiting for new details we leave you with the specifications of the new models:
- Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX 64c / 128t – 2.7 / 4.2 GHz – Cache 288MB – 128 PCIe 4.0 lines – TDP 280W
- Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 32c / 64t – 3.5 / 4.2 GHz – 144MB cache – 128 PCIe 4.0 lines – TDP 280W
- Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3955WX 16c / 32t – 3.9 / 4.3 GHz – Cache 72MB – 128 PCIe 4.0 lines – TDP 280W
- Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12c / 24t – 4.0 / 4.3 GHz – Cache 70MB – 128 PCIe 4.0 lines – TDP 280W