Microsoft announced several hardware and software innovations during the Inspire 2020 virtual conference for partners. Below we focus on the themes and software closest to us – the new Edge browser, for example, the Teams video calling app and the Office / Microsoft 365 suite.
- Automatic change of profiles (from work to staff, for example). The browser will be able to understand if a link is related to the work or personal profile and will open it with the correct credentials. It had already been announced some time ago, but distribution has now begun.
- The collections arrive on mobile. We already know them well in the desktop world: they are groups of tabs saved and organized by name in order to be easily recoverable. Available on Android and iOS.
- Notes in the Collections. Notes and other details can be included for each item. Now distributed on Edge desktop.
- PDF. Now the voice assistant can read PDF files opened in Edge, and editing is now possible directly on the same file (previously it was necessary to save a copy every time). Now in distribution.
- Translation of complete pages in 54 different languages. Just open the Reading Preferences menu, at the top right, and choose the language to translate into. Available from now.
Office and Microsoft 365
- New UI. The "Ribbon" interface will be adaptive and flexible, showing contextual commands relevant to the action you want to perform or the content that you are editing. There will also be a more discreet and subtle use of colors.
- Cross-app search experience. Able to find results from all available Microsoft 365 apps.
- Cortana more efficient. New AI algorithms will allow the virtual assistant to navigate through the day's tasks with greater ease.
- Project Cortex. A series of new initiatives will help the user to alleviate cognitive fatigue and learn, increase their skills and innovate more effectively.
- Excel with "autocorrect". It will be implemented during the drafting of the formulas. Excel will also be able to report all errors found in one place so that the user can easily review and correct them.
- Planner suggests when to finish the tasks. It is an experimental feature currently being tested based on artificial intelligence.
- Greater integration and contextual experiences with Planner, PowerPoint and Whiteboard.
- More features to support field workers. For example, you can manage your time and start the shift from anywhere, integration with Yammer so that it is easier for everyone to receive critical communications, Walkie Talkie basically allows you to send voice messages with push-to-talk mechanics, new policies for administrators to manage changes to the calendar and start / end of shifts.
- Third party app support. Microsoft partners will be able to include their software services directly in the team app to make the video conferencing experience even richer and more comfortable. Support for real-time notifications is also provided. The first apps are expected to arrive later this month.
- Dataflex is coming. It is a relational database that will be available for free to everyone who has access to Power Apps and Power Automate. Dataflex will allow the user to create, distribute and manage apps such as virtual assistants and chatbots to their customers. It will be available in preview form from August.
- Power Bl is here. So the user can access all their views (and share them in meetings) without ever leaving Teams.
The 5G that does not give up anything? Motorola Edge, on offer today from Cellularishop at 520 euros or from Unieuro at 589 euros.