Going on paths this summer is easier, thanks to the accurate mapping carried out by Legambiente volunteers and the equipment provided by Google. Through an initiative dedicated to associations, non-profits, universities and state agencies, the Street View division has in fact lent them the Trekker, the famous ultra-technological backpack that for eight years now has been mapping the most remote and inaccessible places in the globe. As part of the VolontariXNatura project, there are 21 mapped trails, for a total of about 220 km.
Judging by the photos on the Legambiente website, it is still the old backpack model, heavier (over 19 kg!) And less refined than the new version, which was launched at the end of 2018. The entire structure is about 1 tall, 2 meters: in the upper part there are 15 cameras oriented in different directions, while at the bottom, at the height of the back, there is the computer that processes the images captured by the cameras and "sews" them together to develop the graphics at 360 degrees that we watch on Street View.
The material collected by Legambiente has been available on Maps since the first days of July: having updated and reliable information on the paths makes their exploration easier and safer, even by beginners. For the moment the initiative has focused on two large areas in central and southern Italy:
- The Way of the Mutated Lands, which stretches for about 250 km along the whole chain of the Apennines between Marche, Lazio, Abruzzo and Umbria (to be precise, it starts in Fabriano and ends in L'Aquila). Legambiente has mapped eight of the available itineraries – in total 150 km for an average of 15 per day.
- The Amalfi Coast, which overall offers a dense network of over 530 km of trails.
Below we offer direct links to all the mapped trails:
Way of the Mutated Lands
- Castelluccio di Norcia – Arquata del Tronto
- Arquata del Tronto – Accumoli
- Mascioni – Collebrincioni
- Campotosto – Mascioni
- Collebrincioni – L'Aquila
- Norcia – Castelluccio di Norcia
- Amalfi Coast – Path of Lemons
- Path of the Gods
- Valle delle Ferriere
- Alta via dei Monti Lattari and Monte S. Michele
- Torre dello Ziro – Agave in Fiore – Orrido di Pino
- Bay of Ieranto and Punta Campanella