Apple surprisingly presented a refresh of its 27 "All-in-One iMac: the external design remains the same, but the technical data sheet is substantially updated. Apple particularly emphasizes an even better 5K screen, superior performance (thanks to more modern Intel processors), higher quality speakers / webcams / microphones and SSDs across the range – goodbye Fusion Drive. Going into more detail, we have:
- 10th generation Intel Core processors, up to the Core i9 model with 10 cores / 20 threads with Turbo Boost frequencies up to 5 GHz round. On the CPU side, the new chip promises up to 65% higher performance than the top model of the previous generation.
- AMD Radeon Pro 5000 GPU, based on the latest RDNA architecture, and with maximum VRAM up to 16 GB. Compared to the previous top model based on Radeon Pro Vega 48, performance increases up to 55% in certain scenarios.
- The maximum system RAM capacity doubles: 128 GB
- SSD across the range: transfer rates of up to 3.4 Gb / s, and an 8 TB option appears for the first time.
- Apple T2 security chip: guarantees the integrity of the operating system by checking it at startup and performs real-time encryption of all data on the SSD
- Retina 5K display now with True Tone technology: as already seen in other Apple products, this is the real-time adjustment of the color temperature so that it is more homogeneous with the surrounding environment. As on the Pro Display XDR designed for the Mac Pro, there is also an optional glass coating treated with nano-texture for even better readability – specifically it reduces the light reflections typical of a glossy screen without the defects and the quality loss that it is generally associated with opaque displays. Of course, other features such as 5K resolution, maximum brightness 500 nits, 1 billion colors and support for the DCI-P3 color space remain unchanged.
- FHD camera: the resolution of the webcam changes to 1080p and the image processor included in the T2 chip guarantees some additional functions such as tone mapping, exposure control and face recognition. The T2 chip also improves the output from the built-in speakers thanks to a variable equalizer, which results in more precise balance, deeper bass and greater audio fidelity. The new group of microphones is defined as "studio quality", so we imagine it is at the levels seen with the 16 "MacBook Pro.
Finally, there are some news also for the other models of the iMac family. The 21.5 "version will offer SSDs by default on all configurations, with optional Fusion Drive; the iMac Pro, on the other hand, now mounts a 10-core Intel Xeon processor by default.
The new 27 "2020 iMac is already available to order on the official Apple website, also in our country. Prices for Italy start from € 2,199, while the 21.5" iMac starts from € 1,349.99 and iMac Pro from € 5,599.99. From next week the new iMacs will also be available in the Apple Stores and at selected third party retailers.
All new AiOs are shipped with the latest version of macOS available, 10.15.x; of course, Apple points out that they will receive Big Sur this fall.
The 5G that does not give up anything? Motorola Edge, on offer today from Tecnosell for 505 euros or from Amazon for 557 euros.