A few days ago the new DJI Osmo Mobile 4 has landed here in the editorial office which, as you may have guessed, is nothing more than the fourth version of one of the most successful smartphone gimbals. A stabilizer that makes some interesting changes compared to the past and that offers a truly complete and satisfying use experience, even in 2020 and also in front of many products that apparently would not benefit greatly from a gimbal because they already have excellent stabilization . So how does this Osmo Mobile 4 manage to offer added value? The key is in the docking system and in the DJI app with extra features, but I'll get to you soon.
Osmo Mobile 4 incorporates the design of the previous model and obviously also its peculiar feature, that is the possibility of being folded back on itself to minimize the size when transported. The weight is not excessive and this makes it even more manageable without giving up an excellent construction and quality materials both for the handle and for the arms that hold the smartphone. In detail we are talking about polycarbonate and non-slip rubber for the part we grab during use and aluminum, painted with a pleasant soft touch finish, for the arms.
The real novelty, however, lies in the quick coupling system of the smartphone characterized by a new magnetic clip that is really very comfortable and practical. In the package we find a classic clamp support that can be hooked to the smartphone and removed whenever we want. This support ends in the back with a very powerful magnet with which it securely hooks to the gimbal. Alternatively we have bundled a magnetic pad (very similar to those used for some car mounts) to attach and leave fixed on the back cover of the smartphone.
A few moments of use are enough to ask why no one has thought of such a solution before.
Compatibility is also guaranteed for which all the smartphones on the market and in our tests we used a Rog Phone 3, the largest and heaviest smartphone we have available and an S10e which is instead the smallest and lightest. In both cases we had no problem hooking the phone to the gimbal also thanks to the small extra supports in the package that allow greater stability in case of too thin smartphones (on S10e we have a thick cover and there were no problems anyway ).
After a couple of hooks and a certain fear of thinking that our € 800 device is resting on a stabilizer with a magnet, we realized that the idea is brilliant, simple and extremely robust. In fact, removing the smartphone is not "trivial" and you will have to apply considerable force to unhook it from the magnet.
As mentioned at the beginning, the DJI application is the second reason why an external stabilizer still makes sense today. Free, the program will not only allow you to use all the physical keys and shortcuts present on Osmo Mobile 4 avoiding touching the display of your device for the vast majority of features, but will allow you to manage many settings in a fine way and have a set of unique and truly interesting shooting modes.
DJI OM 4 and the DJI Mimo app work together to help you easily generate high-quality content, thanks to pre-programmed shooting modes and professional features including:
- ActiveTrack 3.0: select a subject for DJI OM 4 to automatically track it and the stabilizer to work for the user. Features on recently updated modes improve the distinction between subjects, such as adults, children and pets. It is now possible to adjust the frame during ActiveTrack using the dedicated joystick for greater control.
- Gesture control: ability to easily start and stop recording videos or taking photos using hand gestures to control DJI OM 4; this mode is perfect for taking excellent selfies or group shots without a meticulous self-timer.
- Pre-programmed motion and modes: Ability to take advantage of stabilizer specific movements and high-end picture modes that will make your footage look like it was done by a professional:
- DynamicZoom: Thanks to a visually appealing cinema look, DJI OM 4 automatically adjusts the zoom, to create the dramatic background change made popular by Alfred Hitchcock.
- Timelapse, Motionlapse, HyperLapse: possibility to show the passage of time in accelerated mode thanks to Timelapse; Motionlapse, which adds motion points set for the stabilizer; o HyperLapse to physically move the stabilizer. All three modes use Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) technology, in addition to the three-axis stabilizer, for even greater consistency – you can easily share your creative videos on social media, so that everything the world can see them.
- Slowed down: You can slow down the world around you in phenomenal detail with the Slowed down feature.
- Sport Mode: DJI OM 4 will respond and track subjects and movements more quickly to add action to the scene.
- Panoramas: You can choose from three creative panorama options to capture a wider perspective, including 3X3 panorama, 240 ° panorama and a new “CloneMe” panorama, which allows you to add different versions of a person or subject in one shot. for a unique and creative effect.
- Spin Shot stabilizer movement: activated in the DJI Mimo app and performed via the joystick, the stabilizer will rotate the phone to generate a rotation effect.
- Story Mode Templates: You can choose from one of the preset templates to add creative rotation to your content. DJI OM 4 uses preset gestures, music and color palette to quickly play videos perfect for sharing on social media.
In our tests we really found all the physical management of the interface a considerable added value and we were very positively impressed by the subject tracking system. If on the one hand it is very effective and also manages to catch the person if he were to "lose it", on the other hand it is very easy to set using the rear trigger: one click will have the tracking, another click to remove it.
Everything then works perfectly even with the front camera and in this case the tracking of the subject and the tracking mode become really comfortable as you can keep Osmo Mobile 4 as you want being sure that you will still be followed whatever you do.
DJI OM 4 is available from today on the official website and from authorized dealers and in the package you will find a magnetic ring holder, a carrying case, a magnetic clamp, a tripod and a carrying case for the price of 149 euros.
There is also the possibility to subscribe to the DJI Care Refresh, the complete protection plan for DJI products for DJI OM 4. For a small additional cost, DJI Care Refresh provides 2 replacement units in 1 year, covering accidents such as water damage. and impact. The two-year plan provides for 3 replacement units in 2 years. Other exclusive services of DJI Care Refresh include International Warranty Service, VIP Phone Service, and Free Shipping.
Huawei's top at the best price? Huawei P30 Pro, on offer today by Emarevolution at 478 euros or from Amazon at 579 euros.