Apple aims to be 100% carbon neutral – and this also includes the entire supply chain! – for 2030. The commitment was made in writing by the company through a press release distributed on the official website (link SOURCE) just a few hours ago. The company, it should be remembered, is already carbon-neutral with regards to offices, shops and other corporate structures; and by 2030, Apple says, "every device sold will have zero impact on the climate".
More in detail, Apple explains that the goal is to reduce the emissions of partner companies by at least 75% of the current quantity between now and twenty years; the remaining 25% will be "cleaned up" using cutting-edge technologies for the removal of polluting gases. There is also a fund, called the Impact Accelerator, which will invest in companies run by ethnic minorities that offer the best results in the supply chain and which are particularly affected by environmental dangers.
Apple has already published the roadmap for the next 10 years; among other innovations, there is an increasing effort in the recycling of the components of the withdrawn devices. For example, a new robot, "Dave", is able to disassemble the iPhone's Taptic Engine all by itself to recover the rarer components such as magnets and tungsten, as well as steel. In addition, he wants to invent new solutions to reduce office energy consumption and also distribute these inventions to supplier partners.
In the coming years, the Apple will remain powered 100% from renewable sources, and will continue to pursue research for the necessary materials and manufacturing processes. In this regard, it is interesting to point out the creation of the first aluminum smelting process without direct carbon emissions; the first devices that will use this aluminum, announced last December, will be the 16 "MacBook Pro.
Among the operations considered to "clean up" the air of carbon dioxide are, for example, the reconstruction of degraded savannahs in Kenya and a mangrove ecosystem in Colombia; so far the company has managed to protect and improve the conditions of over 1 million acres of forests in various parts of the world, including Kenya, Colombia, the USA and China.