Apple has released the first public beta of watchOS 7, the new version of the operating system for Apple Watch announced last June at WWDC 2020. Subscribers to Apple's public beta testing program can download it OTA after installing the appropriate profile. available on the website.
Among the main news of watchOS 7, we recall, we have the possibility to monitor sleep, share watchfaces (Face sharing), view more information about Maps and automatic hand washing detection. Let's see them in detail.
- Face Sharing: Face Sharing is the first feature announced by Apple for the new watchOS 7. Users can now share their watchfaces with other users. Sharing can be done directly from the watch through a long press of the dial and the subsequent tap on the Share button. Anyone who wants can then create a link to their watchface to share it on social networks or websites.
- Chronograph Pro: Apple Watch's new watchface includes, as per press, a tachymeter that calculates speed based on time spent over a predefined distance. Finally, it will be possible to create a custom watch face using shared albums as a photo source (currently it is possible to do this with single photos and groups of album photos).
- Watchface Photo and X-Large: Apple updates the two watch faces Photo and X-Large, including the ability to insert a color filter and add a richer complication, respectively.
- More Complications on One Watch Face: Developers are given the ability to put multiple complications on one watchface. The example provided by Apple is that of the Glow Baby dial, which is now able to help parents monitor bottle feeding, breastfeeding or nap times. In other quadrants it will be possible to consult at the same time the wind speed, the water temperature or a lot of information relating to the training statistics.
- Sleep Tracking: With watchOS 7, Apple Watch introduces the ability to track sleep trends. The special feature will provide users with valuable advice on how to improve the quality of sleep, suggestions on schedules and real goals. Sleep monitoring takes place via the Apple Watch accelerometer, which records all the user's micro-movements during the night. In the morning, the wearer will see a visualization of the previous night's sleep, including periods of wakefulness and sleep.
- Auto-Detect Handwashing: Apple Watch uses motion sensors, microphone, and device machine learning to automatically detect handwash motion and sounds. Once this is done, the watch will automatically start a 20-second countdown. If the user terminates early, a message will be displayed asking to resume washing. The Apple Watch will also be able to remind you to wash your hands once you get home, while the Health app will show the frequency and duration of the respective washes. Finally, Apple specifies that the data used to detect hand washing will not in any way be recorded or automatically saved by the app or Watch.
- New Training Types: Apple Watch and watchOS 7 now support four new training types (Core Training, Dance, Functional Strength Training and Cooldown) supported by powerful algorithms for motion and heart rate detection. To properly capture caloric effort for Dance, Apple Watch uses an advanced combination of sensors, which combines data from the heart rate sensor and inputs from the accelerometer. This type of training has been validated and tested with four different dance styles: Bollywood, cardio dance, hip-hop and Latin
- Activity App becomes Fitness: Apple changes the name of Activity, now called Fitness. The app offers a simplified view of data such as daily activities, workouts, rewards and more.
- Additional Hearing Health Support: Users can now understand how loud media listening through headphones is with the iPhone, iPod touch or Apple Watch and when these levels can impact hearing over time . Customers can also see how long they have been exposed to high decibel levels each week in the Health app on the iPhone and can check the maximum volume level of the headphones.
- Maps: Maps on Apple Watch become even more comprehensive with broader, easier-to-read directions that include tips on when to ride bicycles, take stairs to save time, and more.
- Siri: Apple Watch users can now use Siri to translate many languages or read their own messages.
- SwiftUI and Xcode Previews: Developers can create complications using Swift UI and the new Xcode Preview tool.
- New Complications for Native Features: Camera Remote, Sleep, and Shortcuts
- Privacy: All health data is encrypted on the device or in iCloud with sync.
watchOS 7 will be available this fall as a free software update for Apple Watch Series 3, Apple Watch Series 4, or Apple Watch Series 5 paired with iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 or later.
Top range with infinite battery and super display? Asus ROG Phone 2, on offer today from ASUS eShop for 699 euros or from Unieuro for 899 euros.