Alexa is increasingly present in the homes of Italians also thanks to a very complex ecosystem of products that makes access to its services easier. Amazon's voice assistant and Echo devices debuted in Italy on October 23, 2018, today Amazon provides statistics on the use of the voice assistant made in Italy over the last year.
The Italians particularly liked Alexa as a so-called management tool smart home, i.e. the connected devices (thermostats, smart sockets, shutters, etc.) controllable via Alexa and Echo devices. There are currently over 100,000 Alexa-controllable smart home products from 9,500 brands.
Here are the official data relating to the Italian market (last 12 months, unless otherwise specified):
- The name "Alexa" has been invoked hundreds of millions to do home-based tasks such as showing a recipe, turning on the lights or playing a song
- In 2020, Italian users used Alexa almost 2 million times for recipes and video recipes, setting timers to carry out household tasks
- About 3 million products have been added to shopping lists
- Italian users asked Alexa to play music for a total of 13,000 years of uninterrupted listening
- Italian users interact on average 2 million times a day with Alexa to manage the lighting of their homes
- Italian developers have created 466 Alexa skills dedicated to smart home since the assistant's arrival in Italy
- it is estimated that there are over 50,000 third-party developers active in Italy
Gianmaria Visconti, Alexa Country Manager in Italy, commented on the feedback from the Italian market in these terms:
Amazon introduced Alexa and Echo devices to Italy on October 23, 2018, and customer response has been exceptional since launch. The use of smart home solutions through Alexa voice control has been particularly appreciated: we have in fact noticed that the level of adoption by customers in Italy of home automation products that can be managed with Alexa is among the highest at world. In fact, more and more devices can be controlled through Alexa, such as thermostats, shutters, light bulbs, smart sockets and many others
And you for what (and on which device) do you use Alexa?